Monday, November 17, 2008

Thing #15

Going to the library today is not like going to the library when I was in elementary school.

I just finished teaching all 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders about all of the databases our school district provides them. After 3 -4 weeks of going over everyone (in detail), the kids finally realized they have a library at their fingertips - on their computers. When I was explaining World Book Online and Britannica Online, I showed them a real encyclopedia. Most had no idea what it was! I told them a story of when I was in elementary school and how my mom would have to take me to the public library on Saturdays and we would spend the morning in the reference section of the library hoping no other kid was using the same volume that I needed. I then explained to them, that now I stay in my pajamas and do all my research on my computer.

It was amazing how I showed the students these resources and how they have started using them. The kids are ready for all of the Web 2.0 stuff, but are the teachers/librarians ready to teach them?

Web 2.0 is changing things, especially the library. Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 are good changes and I can't wait to see what comes next.

No comments: